What is an ATB?

An articulated tug and barge unit joins a tug and barge together with a “knuckle joint”. A large contraption of big moving steel parts to move by wave action and controlled by powerfull hydraulic rams. It is not a new breed of ship. It is just another means of using a Tug to move a barge. Another a is ITB, (intigrated) which uses cables to do the job. More traditional means are lashing along side and most common, towing astern.

Leave a comment